A well-designed simulation allows the trainee to answer the question “what happens if I do this?” Thus, the learner can test different scenarios for the development of events and gain practical experience and confidence to apply their skills in a real workflow, which usually does not happen with the usual study of text or video materials.
Scope of application
Today, in many areas, expensive equipment is used, and trusting young specialists to manage the existing equipment is a very risky event. At the same time, there is a need to develop professional skills. Here is a partial list of professions in which new employees are trained using virtual reality technologies:
- helicopter pilots;
- automotive instructors;
- heavy equipment driver mechanics;
- nuclear power plant operators;
- refinery operators;
- медицинский персонал;
- railway electromechanics;
- operators of cranes and other manipulators;
- high voltage line electricians.
This method of training trainees is practiced wherever the employee is responsible for expensive equipment, and the management is responsible for the safety of personnel in the training process.
What tasks do training simulators and simulators solve?
- Elimination of emergency situations. Ability to simulate an emergency and train personnel to practice actions in an emergency. It is important to understand that in the event of an accident, employees need to show well-coordinated and clear behavior to ensure the safety of the entire production.
- Analytical work on errors. After completing the task, the employee receives feedback on the correctness of his actions. Thanks to this, he can analyze his actions and go through the simulation again, making work on the mistakes. The process of completing the assignment can be recorded on video or watched by the instructor online.
- Learning through action. The employee independently performs the task that he needs to solve, and since he is in conditions close to reality, the feeling of responsibility for his decisions remains with him.
- Preparation speed. The ability to quickly train and test a large number of employees thanks to the easy scalability of the digital training course.
- Costs. The production or the company saves the time of professional personnel, and the trainees are not allowed to the real expensive equipment – the situation of breakdown and unplanned downtime is excluded.
How does the development phase take place?
Trainers and simulators are created using the most modern hardware, and depending on the individual needs of the customer and the scope of application, the solution is supplemented with special equipment. The choice of software also takes place on an individual basis: it all depends on the needs of the customer. As a rule, the same software is used as for the creation of modern computer games.
In some areas, the highest quality 3D graphics will be a prerequisite, while in others, the development of the feedback mechanism and operator’s immersion in the training scenario will come to the fore.
The Nomix team has developed a VR-solution that allows you to successfully train employees in safety precautions and a set of actions in the event of a fire, both in production and in an office or warehouse. A laboratory with servers installed in it, as well as several workstations equipped with personal computers, was taken as a basis for demonstrating the capabilities of the solution.
The simulation capabilities allow you to simulate 2 types of fire: a class A / B fire (paper, debris and flammable liquids) and a class C fire (electrical equipment). The visual effects used in the solution not only realistically depict flames and streams of hot air, but also allow you to create the effect of smoke in the room and trigger a fire alarm, which complicates the implementation of a given scenario and brings conditions closer to real ones. The trainee can interact with objects such as power switches, fire alarm buttons, telephones, as well as with fire equipment – fire extinguishers of various types depending on the class of fire.
Another of our projects is a VR loader simulator. This is a hardware and software complex that includes vehicle controls (steering wheel, shift lever, pedals), a virtual reality helmet and a virtual simulator that allows you to practice various types of warehouse operations, incl. on the movement of goods, storage of goods on pallets and racks, movement in a confined space, and so on.
The simulator implements all the basic physical laws, which makes it possible with a sufficient degree of reliability to emulate the weight and inertia of the load, the movement of the loader and its components, and other important parameters that affect the perception of the trained employee and the understanding of the peculiarities of working with the load.
To choose the optimal solution for the needs of your company, please contact the Nomix VR and AR development studio by email firstname.lastname@example.org, and we will prepare a personal offer for you.